[Milton-L] Milton's 'English' Skills

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 16:03:26 EDT 2008

Dear Erick Ramalho,

Thank you. That was very comprehensive on Old English. I look forward to reading the online paper by Hong Sehn -- as well as whatever I can find of the other articles that you mention.

Just a further query on Middle English, if I may. Growing up as I did in the Ozarks with its old-fashioned use of words (e.g., stout = strong, not fat) and using the King James Bible in church (older people even prayed in King James English), I found Chaucer more 'readable' than did many of my university classmates. Would someone of Milton's generation have found Middle English fairly easily readable?

Jeffery Hodges