[Milton-L] How do you like them apples...?

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Mon Aug 11 15:16:37 EDT 2008

Out in the orchard these days picking apples in the morning. Today I
stood and marvelled at the roundness of the summer rambo, a heritage
apple that finally bloomed after 8 years. Last year we lost the crop
to the Easter freeze. But today weighing the apple in my palm,
letting it fill my eye - all the senses invoked from Book 9 suddenly
made sense. The phenomenon of examining the object. Excuse while in
my office I take another bite. The other day I wondered about the
eternity of the season in Eden. Good material for the students to
munch on when the poem drops on them with new Miltonic wonder.
Different touch to reach for a blueberry or apple, plum or peach than
reach for a book and look at words. Kemmer