[Milton-L] Information request on Milton and Rome

Mario DiCesare dicesare1 at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 2 10:11:51 EDT 2008

Dear Amy Carleton,

MRTS published two books which may be helpful to you. Both were
collections of papers from conferences at SUNY Binghamton's medieval center:

	Rome in the Renaissance: The City and the Myth (1980?)
	Milton in Italy: Contexts, Images, Contradictions (1991)

Good hunting!

Mario A. DiCesare

Amy M Carleton wrote:
> Dear List Members,
> I am working on a project which traces Milton’s literary responses to
> Rome (both the city and the myth) and considers (among other things)
> how these responses depart from or align with those found in other
> spheres of public discourse.
>
> I have found many helpful sources which help construct a sense of 16th
> and 17th c. English responses to Rome so I am more interested in works
> that focus on Milton and Rome specifically.  I have come across some,
> to be sure (e.g. Diana Trevino Benet’s essay on Milton’s Second Defense
> among others), but I would be most grateful if any list members have
> any additional suggestions. Thank you very much.
> Amy Carleton

Mario A. Di Cesare
Distinguished Professor (emeritus), SUNY
Founder & Director, Medieval & Renaissance Texts
      & Studies (MRTS) & Pegasus Paperbooks (1978-1996)
Director, Pegasus Press (1996-1998; 2002-2004)
Member, College for Seniors, University of North Carolina
      Center for Creative Retirement at UNC Asheville

101 Booter Road
Fairview, NC 28730-8727
    Phone: 828-628-3883