[Milton-L] 'Myth' of "Unfallen" language

Diane McColley dmccolley at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 30 19:39:49 EDT 2007

 From  Christian Doctrine I, Chapter 18:

"Regeneration is that change operated by the Word and the Spirit,
whereby the old man being destroyed, the inward man is regenerated by
God after his own image, in all the faculties of his mind, insomuch
that he becomes as it were a new creature, and the whole man is
sanctified both in body and soul, for the service of God, and the
performance of good works.  Is regenerated by God: namely, the Father,
for no one generates, except the Father.  In all the faculties of his
mind; that is to say, in understanding and will.  This renewal of the
will can mean nothing, but a restoration to its former liberty."

The statement seems to me to imply that for Milton a person's faculties
of understanding and will, employed in the   poet's production of
language, can be in the process of regeneration regardless of which
language the person uses, in the case of the poet with the help of the
"Heav'nly Muse" and the "Spirit" invoked in 1.17-26.  Of course the
poem is not entirely "outside of Christian dogma" and contains speeches
that are obviously prelapsarian and postlapsarian, but since the
language of the poem as a whole can't be called either fallen or
unfallen, I'm suggesting a third state, a process of renewal.