[Milton-L] 'Myth' of "Unfallen" language

Harold Skulsky hskulsky at email.smith.edu
Sun Sep 30 18:43:47 EDT 2007

"Language is an instrument of thought, postlapsarian thought is corrupt, so language is necessarily corrupt."

Forgive me, but the syllogism leaks in several places. Compare: "This hammer is an instrument of Tubal's carpentry. Tubal's carpentry is poor; argal, this hammer cannot fail to be a poor hammer." Part of the trouble is that you have somehow missed my point altogether. My fault, probably. I strongly suspect that, when or if you get my point, you will agree with it.