[Milton-L] 'Myth' of "Unfallen" language

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 30 15:30:27 EDT 2007

Diane McColley wrote:

> I'd like to pitch in with my usual refrain, that the choice between pre- or post- lapsarian implies a third possiblity, regenerate.

But this is not a statement about the poem; it's a statement about the
universe. "Fallen," "Unfallen," and regenerate are meaningless outside
of Christian dogma. To be relevant to the poem you would have to show
how the poem invents an arbitrary set of signals that a given passage is
"regenerate." The language of the poem remains 17th-c English.

Carrol