[Milton-L] swerve / secure

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sun Sep 30 14:13:34 EDT 2007

Jim, thank you for bringing the passage. Clearly it provides a gloss on
"swerve not too secure."

Adam repeats (or nearly so) from God's instructions the words

Secure (as v.)
Secure (v. or adj.)
Danger
Beware
Deception (cf "deceit")
Surpris'd (cf "lest he pretend. . .surprisal")
Swerve
Warnd (cf. "warn")

So clearly the message got through, comma or no! PL is so amazing.

Regarding your point about versification, if anyone speaks the line to
communicate the sense echoed by Adam, the pause will be there and quite
distinctly, comma or no.

Michael