Myth of "Unfallen" language Re: [Milton-L] swerving ...delayed

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 18:58:38 EDT 2007

I think the point is that within Milton's theology, all language is
postlapsarian.  There's no identifying distinguishing characteristics
because unfallen language doesn't exist, except perhaps in Paul's "If
I speak with the tongue of men or of angels..."--but even then, part
of the point is that the tongue of angels is humanly unintelligible.
The ubiquitous fallenness of human language seems like a quaint
theological dictum now, but I think it has significantly shaped
western/Protestant attitudes to the present day, through Adorno's
Negative Dialectics to Derrida.

By the way, the two languages that have a Tower of Babel story--Hebrew
and Sumerian--have also affirmed in their literature (respectively)
that, of course, Hebrew or Sumerian are the original, unfallen
languages.

Jim R