[Milton-L] swerving ...delayed

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sat Sep 29 12:40:08 EDT 2007

Carl, I thought Jeffery Hodges wrote the end of his post with tongue in
cheek, exaggerating the ideological divide that you had located behind our
divided responses to "swerve not too secure."

However, I don't think Jeffery was kidding when he suggested Milton would
not deliberately have the Father speak ambiguously on a matter of this sort.
It is important that Adam be given a clear warning. Except for his
occasional transparent verbal ironies, God generally speaks clearly and
directly in language that is less "poetic" than the language of Satan or the
narrator. (That's of course a critical commonplace.)

I still think the lack of a comma is a mistake.

Michael