[Milton-L] swerving

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 16:57:35 EDT 2007

If we're going to avoid readings that imply authoritative access to
the meaning of a text, then we can't very effectively point out
ambiguities either: an ambiguity is a specific reading, usually either
the product of multiple and simultaneously valid meanings, or (in this
case I think) a function of grammatical structure that keeps any clear
and definite meaning from arising.

The problem here is the assumption that what is ambiguous to us now
was ambiguous to Milton and his readers then.