[Milton-L] swerving

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Tue Sep 25 14:04:05 EDT 2007

This fine catalogue --"the ostensibly nonsensical, the paradoxical, the
mercurial, the polysemous"-- which Fleming applies to Milton's rhetoric
seems not dissimilar to characterizations of Chaos he and others have
offered recently.

Now Fish makes the rhetorical effect of PL a judgment or disclosure of the
reader's sin. Please correct me if I don't have that right.  But, if so,
mustn't we then formulate thus: Milton has created a text whose
(nonsensical, etc..... polysemous...) rhetoric provides just the sort of
fertile (and illusory) psychological environment for us sinners as Chaos
provides for Satan?

This line of thought would suggest that those who, with Fleming, enjoy and
discover and prefer the nonsensical/mercurial/etc. spaces&qualities of
Paradise Lost are of one party, perceiving the poem and their own place in
it as Satan perceives Chaos.  Better to reign in Polysemy than serve in
Faith. While another party doubts not in the end (and perhaps not even in
the beginning) but that "warne him beware / He swerve not too secure" means
simply "warne him beware / He swerve not, too secure." Milton leaves the
comma out so that the text can play its winnowing role, but to the fit
audience, comma or no comma, "simply doesn't matter."

Carl