[Milton-L] swerving

John Rumrich rumrich at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 24 15:10:53 EDT 2007

My suspicion is that, "swerve" here deliberately recalls Lucretius's
notion of clinamen in a context where the indeterminacy of animate
matter in motion is a function of free will rather than of an
inexplicable fact of nature.

Someone else may have already said as much and I missed it.  If so,
apologies for the repetition.

By the way, the OED lists numerous instances from the sixteenth and
seventeenth centuries of "secure" being used as an adverb: from
Marlow, Shakespeare, the AV, and Massinger among others.