[Milton-L] swerving

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 14:38:34 EDT 2007

"Swerve" as a "metaphor for movement" could encompass the idea of
"turning aside" as well as other kinds of movement--because to "turn
aside" is to "move."  But I'm not too sure I understand Michael
Gillum's reading.  When God says that Adam should be warned that he
"swerve not too secure" is he saying Adam shouldn't be too secure in
his swerving or turning aside from...obedience?  That would almost
sound as if the God of PL were encouraging Adam to sin carefully or
not too recklessly or not with too great a sense of security.

Interesting that any reading offered so far needs to add something--an
"ly" to transform "secure" into a clear adverb, or a comma, or a great
many words.  Might be interesting to look up other uses of the word
"swerve" in PL as well.