[Milton-L] swerving

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 08:09:42 EDT 2007

Of course, and figures of speech or idioms are one available means  of
expression.  Is there a reason Milton couldn't have used these?  What
he that committed to literal language at all times?  Is it possible
that Milton's God wouldn't use figures of speech? (I think it is
possible, but would like to know why).  The current construction (so
understood) fits the context as part of God's warning to Adam and
seems to fit the feel of the passage as well as its meter.

Jim R