[Milton-L] swerving

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 23:22:28 EDT 2007

The phrase seems like a figure of speech.  So we wouldn't ask someone
who said, "I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place": "Why don't you
remove the rock?"  or, "What rock?  I don't see a rock.  And what's so
hard about your place? You're standing right there."  Russell
Hillier's reading is probably dead on.  "Swerve" is probably a
metaphor for movement, "too secure" a reference to how Adam could be
moving about: "Tell Adam not to travel around feeling too safe."  The
proper adverbial form probably wouldn't fit Milton's meter and I don't
think would sound as elevated.