{SpamScore: ssss} Re: [Milton-L] Perspectivism and Chaos

Russell Hillier russellhillier at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 23 17:38:43 EDT 2007

Dear All,

If I might throw in my mite.  God's lines to Raphael, "whence warne him to beware / He swerve not too secure" (5.237-38), make better sense, I think, when seen against the Latin word se-curus, meaning "apart" or "free from care", "untroubled", "easy".  Although we don't expect to find care or trouble in prelapsarian Eden, God seems to be asking Raphael to teach Adam the virtue of caution, to be on his guard against the enemy, and to remember at all times that he is both free to fall and sufficient to stand.

The virtue of caution, God's caveat to be sent to Adam via Raphael, is the operative word here, since the iussive caveat means "let him beware", and we find God commissioning Raphael to "warne [Adam] to beware" not to be too secure or free from care.  As Professor Flannagan points out, Milton uses "secure" in this Latinate way elsewhere.
Russell Hillier