[Milton-L] Perspectivism and Chaos

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sun Sep 23 17:16:58 EDT 2007

Chaos seems as dangerous and intimidating to the angels as it would to us,
so perhaps this would be the perspective common to created beings, except
for the Son armed with the power of the Father. Chaos seems allied to evil
and rebellion from this viewpoint, but perhaps that¹s a faulty impression.

[The angels] view¹d the vast immeasurable Abyss
Outrageous as a Sea, dark, wasteful, wild,
Up from the bottom turnŒd by furious winds
And surging waves, as Mountains to assault
Heav¹ns highth. . . . (7.211-15)

Jeffery, that¹s a very smart connection to make between the momentary
constellations that form in Chaos and Satan¹s claim that the angels arose
spontaneously. However, do you think Satan really believes he bubbled into
existence through his own power in accordance with Fate, and just by
accident before the throne of Somebody who happened to bubble up sooner? or
is he just saying that to strengthen his followers¹ resistance to Abdiel¹s
very convincing charge?

Michael