[Milton-L] Fw: Milton Unveiling Ceremony

Angelica Duran duran0 at exchange.purdue.edu
Fri Sep 21 14:22:16 EDT 2007

Thanks for keeping us posted.  Could you tell me and the others on the list
where we might send funds, however small or large, towards this wonderful
endeavor?

Adios,
Angelica Duran
Associate Professor
English and Comparative Literature
Purdue University
500 Oval Drive
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907
USA
(765) 496-3957
<duran0 at purdue.edu>
<http://www.cla.purdue.edu/english/directory/?personid=80>

From: Carol Barton <cbartonphd at earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:16:43 -0400
To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
Subject: [Milton-L] Fw: Milton Unveiling Ceremony

Hello, all!

Just to keep everyone posted on the progress of the Milton Plaque--please
see the message I received from Ms. Glass at the CLRO this morning, below.
The unveiling promises to be an exciting event, and I've suggested that we
also invite Her Royal Highness and/or Prince Charles; there would be a touch
of poetic justice of sorts in the attendance of the latter, I think, which
would make a lovely birthday present, too.

As you know, church politics have rendered the Milton Window project
abortive, and we are experiencing some difficulty with the custodians of the
Fund at SMU getting the modest proceeds we have escrowed with them released.
Our charter did provide for alternative uses (as long as they remained
within the spirit of the original objective). If it becomes necessary, I may
have to ask the donors to e-mail their individual permissions to the SMU
trustees, so that we can use the monies to support the Plaque unveiling. I
hope you will all concur that such a purpose is equally appropriate, if not
quite as ambitious as our original objective.

And I think I can speak for the other members of the Milton Quadricentenary
Window Committee when I say that we hope you will all attend! The timing
will be coordinated with the Milton Symposium if at all possible, and the
occasion promises to be a fitting tribute, as you'll see!

Best to all,

Carol Barton
_________________________________

Dear Carol,

I thought I should give you a brief update on how this application is
progressing.  The City Surveyor has had successful preliminary talks with
the developer of Bow Bells House and is confident that the Plaque will be in
place by next Summer (if not by very early spring!).  I am keeping my
fingers crossed for you.

The purpose of this email, in particular, is to raise with you the interest
that this Plaque is generating, not least within the Ward of Bread St and
with the Milton Cottage Trust in Buckinghamshire.  The Alderman for the Ward
is a former Lord Mayor (Sir Michael Savory) who is looking to approach
Mansion House to see whether the present Lord Mayor would also be able to
attend an unveiling.

This plaque is obviously your achievement and I would not want to detract
from that.  I have suggested to these interested parties that they should be
put in touch with you as the Applicant (I can pass on their details to you
or visa versa if you so wish).  I feel that it would look slightly strange
to have more than one unveiling and I would urge all interested parties to
work together to produce what promises to be a very special occasion.

It was mentioned to me by the Chairman of the Bread Street Ward Club that a
summer unveiling would be preferential (as you know December isn't the best
in the UK), which is obviously dependent on the plaque's erection and what
fits in with you.  You mentioned a symposium in July so maybe it can tie in
with that?

This email isn't 'Green for Go' but it aims to bring to the fore the need to
co-ordinate all the interested parties from an early stage.  I am happy to
facilitate this to a certain extent through providing advice and any
contacts that you require, however, as I think I have raised before, the
City of London does not unveiling ceremonies, nor fund such events.

I look forward to hearing from you,

As requested I have copied in Professor Chernaik who I would be happy to
liaise with if further,

Kind regards,

Jenny