[Milton-L] Fw: Milton Unveiling Ceremony

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 21 13:16:43 EDT 2007

Milton Unveiling CeremonyHello, all!

Just to keep everyone posted on the progress of the Milton Plaque--please see the message I received from Ms. Glass at the CLRO this morning, below. The unveiling promises to be an exciting event, and I've suggested that we also invite Her Royal Highness and/or Prince Charles; there would be a touch of poetic justice of sorts in the attendance of the latter, I think, which would make a lovely birthday present, too.

As you know, church politics have rendered the Milton Window project abortive, and we are experiencing some difficulty with the custodians of the Fund at SMU getting the modest proceeds we have escrowed with them released. Our charter did provide for alternative uses (as long as they remained within the spirit of the original objective). If it becomes necessary, I may have to ask the donors to e-mail their individual permissions to the SMU trustees, so that we can use the monies to support the Plaque unveiling. I hope you will all concur that such a purpose is equally appropriate, if not quite as ambitious as our original objective.

And I think I can speak for the other members of the Milton Quadricentenary Window Committee when I say that we hope you will all attend! The timing will be coordinated with the Milton Symposium if at all possible, and the occasion promises to be a fitting tribute, as you'll see!

Best to all,

Carol Barton
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Carol,

I thought I should give you a brief update on how this application is progressing.  The City Surveyor has had successful preliminary talks with the developer of Bow Bells House and is confident that the Plaque will be in place by next Summer (if not by very early spring!).  I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

The purpose of this email, in particular, is to raise with you the interest that this Plaque is generating, not least within the Ward of Bread St and with the Milton Cottage Trust in Buckinghamshire.  The Alderman for the Ward is a former Lord Mayor (Sir Michael Savory) who is looking to approach Mansion House to see whether the present Lord Mayor would also be able to attend an unveiling.

This plaque is obviously your achievement and I would not want to detract from that.  I have suggested to these interested parties that they should be put in touch with you as the Applicant (I can pass on their details to you or visa versa if you so wish).  I feel that it would look slightly strange to have more than one unveiling and I would urge all interested parties to work together to produce what promises to be a very special occasion.

It was mentioned to me by the Chairman of the Bread Street Ward Club that a summer unveiling would be preferential (as you know December isn't the best in the UK), which is obviously dependent on the plaque's erection and what fits in with you.  You mentioned a symposium in July so maybe it can tie in with that?

This email isn't 'Green for Go' but it aims to bring to the fore the need to co-ordinate all the interested parties from an early stage.  I am happy to facilitate this to a certain extent through providing advice and any contacts that you require, however, as I think I have raised before, the City of London does not unveiling ceremonies, nor fund such events.

I look forward to hearing from you,

As requested I have copied in Professor Chernaik who I would be happy to liaise with if further,

Kind regards,

Jenny