[Milton-L] milton's all

Gregory Machacek Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu
Thu Sep 20 12:04:54 EDT 2007

Carl Bellinger cites Satan's plummeting as evidence that "it would seem
Chaos is infinitey maleable in extent. It can
bubble out here and there, as necessary, to whatever distance Chance, or
Ill
Chance requires, or Providence"

If Chaos is truly boundless or illimitable, I don't think it would have to
change size in order for Satan to fall through it endlessly.

Of course, that then requires we imagine an infinitude (or at least an
illimitude) within a larger infinitude.  The mind boggles.  But then such
boggling of the mind was at least part of what the eighteenth century
critics had in mind when they talked about Milton's sublimity (and much of
what I love in reading him).

Greg Machacek
Associate Professor of English
Marist College