[Milton-L] diagrams/illustrations of Milton's world/multiverse

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 18:42:57 EDT 2007

Etymologically, "cosmos" means "order," so it wouldn't seem to include chaos. If we want to refer to all of Milton's system -- chaos, hell, the world, and the heavenly realm -- we'd need a more inclusive word.

  Perhaps "reality"? Or "the entirety"?

  Does Milton ever use a word to refer to everything?

  Jeffery Hodges

Jameela Lares <Jameela.Lares at usm.edu> wrote:
  I don't know either. I would think that Milton's cosmos would still be a single
entity despite its complexity and even its inclusion of chaos.

Milton's complex cosmos?

Jameela

Quoting Michael Gillum :

> Jameela, I was just groping for a word. I don't know whether it has been
> applied to Milton's, er, thingamajig. The "-verse" root of "universe" refers
> to the turning of the geocentric cosmos, so it doesn't transfer very aptly.
>
> Because Milton's three created places parallel and invert each other in
> various ways, there is a dim analogy to the fantasy-fiction sense you
> describe.
>
> Each of the places could be called a cosmos. Would it be right to say each
> has its own set of natural laws? (In the physical, not the moral sense.)
>
> Michael
>
> On 9/19/07 12:39 PM, "Jameela Lares" wrote:
>
> > Are we agreed on the term "multiverse"? In the only college-level
> dictionary
> > could find, the term was attributed to a coinage by William James for
> "chaos."
> > In the fantasy fiction I read, the term would appear to apply to multiple
> > worlds
> > that are parallel versions of each other but have split off from each other
> at
> > some crucial juncture. Neither meaning applies very well to order-loving,
> > monist Milton.
> >
> > Jameela

Jameela Lares, Ph.D.
Associate Professor