[Milton-L] diagrams/illustrations of Milton's world/multiverse

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 16:52:20 EDT 2007

You might check out Terrance Lindall's illustrations and see. I don't know if he has attempted to illustrate all of Milton's cosmic and extracosmic 'entirety', but you might do some digging around and see:

  http://wahcenter.net/exhibits/2008/milton400/

  Even if you don't find what you're looking for, you'll find a lot of other illustrations for your very 'visual' students.

  Jeffery Hodges

"Burbery, Timothy" <burbery at marshall.edu> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Thanks to Dennis for explaining many of the problems with diagramming Milton¡¯s universe, or whatever we¡¯re going to call it.  The trick for me, however, is that my students are so visual, and a few well-chosen pictorial aids, however imperfect, can go a long way towards orienting them in _Paradise Lost_.  That said, I¡¯ll now preface this unit with some big disclaimers.

  Thanks as well to Angelica, Russell, Caroline, and Michael, for the Hughes diagram link.  Like Michael, I find it inaccurate in many respects, yet I also see ways it could be usefully problematized for class discussion.

  Does anyone know if any _Paradise Lost_ illustratations do justice to the scope and complexity of his multiverse? And, are there any contemporary artists now at work who might welcome such a challenge?

  Best,

  Tim Burbery

  Dr. Timothy J. Burbery
  Professor of English
  Marshall University
  One John Marshall Drive
  Huntington, WV 25755-2646
  304.696.2369
  burbery at marshall.edu

  "Limitation makes for power: the strength of the genie comes from his being confined in a bottle." Richard Wilbur

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

Email Address: