[Milton-L] diagrams/illustrations of Milton's world/multiverse

Burbery, Timothy burbery at marshall.edu
Wed Sep 19 12:11:12 EDT 2007

Thanks to Dennis for explaining many of the problems with diagramming
Milton's universe, or whatever we're going to call it.  The trick for
me, however, is that my students are so visual, and a few well-chosen
pictorial aids, however imperfect, can go a long way towards orienting
them in _Paradise Lost_.  That said, I'll now preface this unit with
some big disclaimers.

Thanks as well to Angelica, Russell, Caroline, and Michael, for the
Hughes diagram link.  Like Michael, I find it inaccurate in many
respects, yet I also see ways it could be usefully problematized for
class discussion.

Does anyone know if any _Paradise Lost_ illustratations do justice to
the scope and complexity of his multiverse? And, are there any
contemporary artists now at work who might welcome such a challenge?

Best,

Tim Burbery

Dr. Timothy J. Burbery

Professor of English

Marshall University

One John Marshall Drive

Huntington, WV 25755-2646

304.696.2369

burbery at marshall.edu

"Limitation makes for power: the strength of the genie comes from his
being confined in a bottle." Richard Wilbur