[Milton-L] online diagrams of Milton's cosmos?

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Sep 18 17:31:02 EDT 2007

Milton of course refers to the ³pendant World² also as ³Heaven and Earth²
(as opposed to the Empyrean Heaven). The whole shebang is hard to name, sort
of a multiverse. I agree that the spherical Chaos in the diagram seems too
tidy, and, like Jeffery I think of Hell as inside it rather than under it.
The territory of Hell could be spherical like Earth or disc-shaped as a
parody of Heaven. It could be enclosed in brass spheres or hemispheres.
Seems like it is out of scale in the diagram‹ it should be no larger than
Heaven-and-Earth or perhaps much smaller. There is no need for vast spaces
to inspire awe in the fallen.