[Milton-L] A pause about pauses

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 19:05:17 EDT 2007

Thanks Mario for your pause on pauses; and in the midst of a move too.

I must admit being uncomfortable by the thrust of your comment, as I was too
by Michael Gillum's which you cited and which did indeed back you up. When I
hear it's no big deal whether we call it "the pauses" on one hand, or the
"sense drawn from verse into verse" I say, no, that can't be right. Does
Milton ever let specific terminology, from his own pen, 'off the hook' of
cogent, stringent, and precise reference? Should not Johnson's sharp
displeasure about "the variety of pauses, so much boasted by lovers of blank
verse" [quote from decaying memory] give pause to the easy idea that we
mustn't get too hung up on terminology?

     But then I'm a devotee of prosody, and any devotee of anything
intricate & finicky is likely to be finicky and crabby.

And of course, the two of you have a powerful card you ain't played yet. If
I find your comments annoyingly dismissive of my precious distinctions, you
just plop Milton's own comment on the table. and case closed!

 "I mean not here the prosody of a verse, which they could not but have hit
on before among the rudiments of grammar."

You understand of course I'm actually the opposite of crabby to any opinions
on prosody; I love the topic and everyone with the chutzpah to comment on
it! I have read, by the way, more than one of John Creaser's excellent
articles on prosody, and would point out to my esteemed colleagues Gillum &
DiCaesura, that after reading one of these, Mr. Gillum is less inclined to
see the variety of the pause in blank verse merely as an unavoidable
by-product of enjambment.

Pace,
jcb