[Milton-L] Distinction between Spirit and Soul (Was Crucial punctuation in The Book of Common Prayer)

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 15:57:39 EDT 2007

I'm not sure that there's a unified Christian position on the
relationship to soul/spirit.  Authors from Origen to Kierkegaard,
strongly influenced by the Platonic tradition, emphasize a tripartite
self consisting of body, soul, and spirit, and make sharp distinctions
between the three.  Mike Streeter articulates what I think is the
Roman Catholic position, probably a modified Aristotelian view, but
I'm not sure.  It doesn't help that the Biblical language isn't
consistent, nor that many Christian authors tended to confuse or
conflate these two stains of Christian thought, or that most Christian
movements today take a position while being unaware of its
permutations in Christian thought and history.