[Milton-L] the variety of pauses

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Fri Sep 14 15:26:08 EDT 2007

Don¹t strong enjambment and off-center caesuras naturally tend to go
together? If you break a phrase across the end of the line, there will
likely be a phrase-boundary near the end of one line or the beginning of the
next.

Likewise, medial caesuras and end-stopping tend to go together, partly
because of the typical length of  syntactic units, but also because they
sort with an aesthetic preference for symmetry and clarity of form. Pope¹s
letter to Walsh: "in any smooth English verse of ten syllables, there is
naturally a pause either at the fourth, fifth, or sixth syllable."

Michael