[Milton-L] Re: AV/KJV

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Fri Sep 14 15:16:35 EDT 2007

Failing the right kind local church to visit, I'd also suggest, Mr. Kerr,
you might try reading aloud when you come to the collects. In fact memorize
2 or 3 of them. I expect Milton is right when in Of Education he makes
memorization followed by an out-loud recitation of what is "got by heart"
the culminating requirement for a genuine appropriation not only of the
words but of the "spirit and vigor" of the great texts.

In this regard I have a question for Prof. Hamlin whose fine pitch for using
the KJV gets me wondering how he recommends his students read when they
read. The Bible you want is that which so deeply informs the Eng lit., but
can the Bible as read by students [I assume most are not practicing
Christians?]  even vaguely approximate the Bible that lies behind our
literature? Perhaps a sophomoric question, but I'm wondering, Prof. Hamlin,
if you ask your students to in some way or other practice reading the Bible
as "a believer" might do? What exactly that would look like I have no idea.
Read every single morning without fail? and follow your reading with set
prayers, perhaps a collect or two? Stand up when say the Collects? Try to
imagine while reading you are sincerely seeking your daily light, then go
through the day in hope of that light and trust for those prayers? Or would
such fictions impede what you hope the students will gain?

-Carl