[Milton-L] the variety of pauses

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Fri Sep 14 14:03:04 EDT 2007

Johnson and Addison (and I presume many others) treat Milton's heavily enjambed style in PL as a matter of "the pauses."
Addison sets out orderly examples of the occurrence the _pause_ in PL in each of the nine possible places in the 10-syllable line: after syll. #1, after # 2, .... after #9.  Johnson complains that "the variety of pauses" in PL washes out the verse *as verse,* leaving us merely with "the periods of a declaimer."

So in praise, or in blame, they speak of "the pauses," but Milton says nothing at all about pauses in his defense of THE VERSE of PL; he refers rather to the "sense variously drawn out." which language identifies the words themselves, the sense-laden phrases, not the pauses between phrases...

The question where did Johnson and Addison get their interest in the pauses --in respect to PL-- is a question properly for the18th century perhaps. I'd be grateful for any help with that question, but my really  pressing question is 'did Milton himself ever speak of the *pauses* in any place in his writings? Can anyone help me with this?

-Carl