[Milton-L] Biblical terminology

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Thu Sep 13 12:36:06 EDT 2007

Why would even need "Jeremianic?" Gimme a break! There is only one book with
Jeremiah's name on it. And such adjectives are really dangerous to fair
scholarship, are they not? They can be pigeon-holes in which you hide a
jumble of things you don't understand behind a signage that makes it seem
you do. It's fair and convenient to say "Pauline epistles" if you intend
simply those dozen or so written by St. Paul. But to say that a certain
theological notion, or an image or turn of phrase, is "Pauline" requires a
genuinely wide and thorough and discriminating scholarship don't you think?

It's a lesser matter of course but many such coinages stick in your mouth
like peanut butter and in your ear like I don't know what. They can be so
_very_ silly or grotesque that in cases like "Genesis" (mentioned above in
this thread) even the most dogged and vain adjectivarian (adjectivalist?)
can sense a problem: Genesisian? Genesisonian? Genesisonic?

"Miltonic" is rather a verbal clunker is it not? Never mind how potentially
vicious in criticism, "Miltonic" would seem better suited as it spits off
the tongue to something like "mill town"  than to our most elegant poet.
Those first manufacturing centers along the lower Merrimack were as
chokingly miltonic as any Blake complained of in his green England.

-Carl