[Milton-L] Re: AV/KJV

Beth Quitslund quitslun at ohio.edu
Thu Sep 13 11:17:59 EDT 2007

As far as prose psalms for Morning and Evening Prayer, I think it's safe to
assume that most but not all congregations would have heard the Great Bible
psalms. They were almost always bound with the Book of Common Prayer, and
the printer Christopher Barker in 1582 complains that although he as the
queen's printer has the rights to the BCP, his sales are significantly
reduced by the patent to William Seres for the Great Bible Psalter, which
ought to be considered a part of the liturgy. (He makes the same complaint
about Day's patent for the metrical psalms, which never had any official
authorization at all). Technically, however, from 1549 until 1662 it was
permissible to read the daily psalms in any language understood by the
congregation (which primarily means that Latin was ok for the
universities). The Great Bible psalter was officially incorporated into the
liturgy in 1662. As to why James didn't push for the use of the AV psalms
in common prayers, I don't know, but my *suspicion* is that he knew that
asking convocation and especially parliament to tinker with the BCP in one
way would positively invite a Puritan assault on other parts of it.

Hannibal is right that the BCP has been under-attended to by our ilk. One
positive development is that Brian Cummings is working on a massive new
original-spelling critical edition for Oxford World's Classics, which will
include 1549, 1559, and 1662.

Cheers,
Beth

Beth Quitslund