[Milton-L] Bible translations

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Wed Sep 12 13:42:10 EDT 2007

Yes, he knew Hebrew, though not to the extent that some early critics
like Harris Fletcher have claimed.  I think it's fair to assume that
he would refer to the Hebrew text of the Bible often in his readings,
though it's also the case that he probably drew upon the scholarship
of far more accomplished Christian Hebraists to whom he had access
(Fagius and Selden, to name only two of the most important).