[Milton-L] Bible translations

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 11:27:46 EDT 2007

Jeffrey Shoulson wrote:

I'm teaching Bible as Lit this semester and, as always, I require students to work with at least two different translations.  This year I have asked them all to purchase the Penguin edition of the King James though, as Jameela points out, the notes are far from adequate.  The second translation is the choice of each student though I warn them away from the so-called amplified or paraphrase translations.

Dear Jeffrey et al, For your students' second choice your library might consider securing the (recent) annotated "The Orthodox New Testament." My pastor, who reads a dozen languages including early languages of biblical and liturgical texts, was happily shocked [can anything good come from a committee?] to find how good this edition is for study of the Bible. I copy the publisher's blurb below, for what it's worth. I haven't seen the edition yet myself.  -Carl

p.s. How thoroughly did M. know the commentary of the "early Church Fathers?" Apparently it is nicely represented in the edition.

  THE ORTHODOX NEW TESTAMENT, two-volume set. THE HOLY GOSPELS and ACTS, EPISTLES, AND REVELATION. NEW AND ENLARGED SECOND EDITION AVAILABLE.
With so many English New Testaments on the market, which version is most faithful to the original Greek? How do you choose one that reflects Orthodox perspective and theological content? Our Orthodox monasteries, Holy Apostles Convent and Dormition Skete, labored six years, with a committee of contributors, to present this fully illustrated Orthodox translation, which has been diligently compared against the original Greek text, the authorized version (1912) of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and the King James Version. There was no compromise of accuracy and reliability in this brand-new translation which echoes the rhythms and idioms of the original Greek. This promises to be an enriched reading experience that gives you an in-depth understanding of God's word, answering commonly asked textual and theological queries for vital and penetrating insights into God's word.

We have brought together a trustworthy and one-of-a-kind patristic commentary which draws from the whole spectrum of the authority of the Church Fathers for a rich, dependable, invaluable resource for devotional reading, Bible study, sermon preparation, and teaching. Explore the Scriptures with the champions of Orthodoxy with hundreds of succinct, reliable, and inspiring commentaries that elaborate on difficult passages, thereby providing a clearer understanding.

Gain a greater understanding of the shades of meaning in the original language with word studies stressing meaningful nuances in the Greek, but often lost in other translations. Even for those who do not know Greek, exegetical material gives critical analysis of key words, that is not overly technical, for both beginners and scholars alike.

Special Features include: (1) Experience the New Testament fully illustrated with Orthodox icons interspersed, thus complementing pertinent text so that you can reverently view Christ, His Mother, the Apostles, and many other biblical personalities, together with sacred events, Bible scenes, miracles, parables, and numerous apocalyptic depictions. (2) High-quality format. Text is in large, easy-to-read 13-point typeface; endnotes are in a readable and clear 10-point typeface. (3) Words of Christ and others set in quotations. (4) At the end of each book of the New Testament, references and informative notes on linguistics, key words, difficult terms and phrases. Extensive explanatory notes packed with information on textual difficulties and theological concepts that enable you to discover the rich truths of the original Greek text. (5) Chronological Index of Gospel Parallels. (6) Instructive Appendix and Bibliography, and detailed listing of Greek codices explained.