[Milton-L] Bible translations

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Wed Sep 12 10:13:46 EDT 2007

I think it's high time for a scholarly edition of
>   the Geneva Bible (complete with its original
>   marginal commentaries), too, since it is so
>   powerfully influential on late 16th and 17th century
>   English Protestantism.  And while were at it, we
>   could also use a Tyndale modern edition, given how
>   much of it finds its way into the KJV.

I have a facsimile of the Geneva NT, and enjoy showing it to classes, pointing out the heavy annotation, especially of Paul on justification. Then they begin to see why the AV was to be free of that.

A scholarly edition with annotation would be great.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant