[Milton-L] Bible translations

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Wed Sep 12 10:04:52 EDT 2007

I'm teaching Bible as Lit this semester and, as always, I require
students to work with at least two different translations.  This year
I have asked them all to purchase the Penguin edition of the King
James though, as Jameela points out, the notes are far from
adequate.  The second translation is the choice of each student
though I warn them away from the so-called amplified or paraphrase
translations.  I have students using the NIV, the NAB, the REB, the
New Jerusalem, and the NRSV this semester.  I agree with John Mulryan
that the NJB's notes are very good.  I hate to lose the rhythms and
diction of the KJV, though, especially since I think, for all its
inaccuracies, it comes closest to capturing the rhythms and diction
of Biblical Hebrew.  As Tom Luxon and Julia Walker point out, there
are some very useful web resources out there that allow students to
have as many as four different translations (not just in English) in
parallel columns.
I think it's high time for a scholarly edition of the Geneva Bible
(complete with its original marginal commentaries), too, since it is
so powerfully influential on late 16th and 17th century English
Protestantism.  And while were at it, we could also use a Tyndale
modern edition, given how much of it finds its way into the KJV.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English and Judaic Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248145
Coral Gables, FL 33124-4632

(o) 305-284-5596