[Milton-L] Milton and Lady Di?

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Fri Sep 7 13:09:48 EDT 2007

According to Parker, Lady Alice, Countess Dowager of Derby (the
*Arcades* Alice) was married twice (once when she was about 20 and again
at the age of 41, a few years after the death of her first husband).
She had 3 daughters by the first husband who lived to get married (no
sons survived), including Lady Frances, who ended up marrying John
Egerton.  Frances and John's 11th child was the Lady Alice of *A Mask*.
I'm not sure, however,--and Parker doesn't say--if the second Alice had
any children.  She didn't marry until 1652 when she was 33.  Lots of her
Dowager of Derby's other two daughters), so I suppose it's possible that
Lady Di is descended from the elder Lady Alice, but possibly not from
the younger one.

Parker gives lots of names and dates, so if someone wanted to trace the
decent, they might be able to at least start there.

Louis

Louis Schwartz
Associate Professor of English
University of Richmond