[Milton-L] Poetry Daily (liquid song)

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Mon Sep 3 10:57:36 EDT 2007

Carl's coments on water in "motion" reminded me of the "fountain of living
water" (Jer. 2.13) and Zach. 14.18, of water as the outpouring of God's life
and Rev. 22.1, etc.  These images are dealt with by Danielou, Jean S.J. Les
Symboles chretiens primifs. 1961. Trans. Donald Attwater. Primitive
Christian Symbols. Baltimore: Helicon Press, 1964. There are some
fascinating sources on water, specifically the sea, that I have been looking
at:
1. Klein, Bernard. Ed. Fictions of the Sea. Ashgate, 2002, which has an
article on Satan as seafarer.
2. Moorman, Frederic. W. The Interpretation of Nature in English Poetry from
Beowulf to Shakespeare. Strasburg: Karl J. Trubner, 1908
3. Treneer, Anne.  The Sea in English Literature from Beowulf to Donne.
London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1926.
4. Auden, W.H. The Enchafed Flood or the Romantic Iconography of the Sea.
N.Y. Random House, 1950.
5. Bourke, John.  The Sea as a symbol in English Poetry.  Eton:  Alden and
Blackwell, 1954.
6. Curtius, E.R. Trans. Michael Kowal.  Essays on European Literature.
Princeton UP, 1973.
And the most fascinating:  Corbin, Alain. Le Territoire du vide. Paris:
Aubrier, 1988. Trans Jocelyun Phelps. The Lure of the Sea: The Discovery of
the Seaside in the Western World 1750-1840.  Berkeley, U of Cal P, 1944.
That might be more than anyone wanted on Labor Day!
Best,
Salwa Khoddam