[Milton-L] Announcement: Manchester University Medieval and Early Modern Literature: MA and postgraduate applications, please circulate

Jerome de Groot jerome.degroot at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Nov 30 08:51:20 EST 2007

The MA in Medieval and Early Modern Literature is now accepting applications
for study in 2008-09. This innovative programme regularly attracts and
trains the best graduate students in the field with its blend of texts and
practical sessions.

The teaching staff, which includes Naomi Baker, Anke Bernau, Jerome de
Groot, David Matthews, Gale Owen-Crocker, Jackie Pearson and Alexander
Rumble, has an international reputation in a number of the most important
themes that are currently stimulating scholarly debate

You will be taught cutting edge, hands-on research techniques as well as key
theoretical approaches; you will be able to use a world-class research
library; you will be part of a dynamicgraduate community. You may choose to
work on interdisciplinary Anglo-Saxon Studies, on Middle English or Early
Modern texts, or can choose to select thematically related course-units from
across the full scope and date-range of the programme. We regularly have
postgraduate masterclasses run by leaders in the field such as Alan
Sinfield, Ann Hughes, Catherine Belsey, Stephen Knight and Sharon
Achinstein.

What our students say about us: 'I've really enjoyed studying for a PhD at
Manchester. The postgraduate community in English and American Studies is
very supportive, and my supervisors were excellent. It was also exciting to
be involved with an interdisciplinary research environment, with lots of
opportunities for interaction with other subject areas.'

Course outline includes:

     Material Cultures

     Anglo-Saxon and Early Medieval Culture and Context

     The Anglo-Saxon World: Images of Man, Plant and Beast

     Rebellion and Reaction 1300-1450

     Early Modern Masculinities

     Chaucer, Troilus, and Criticism

     Literacy and the Book in England before 1200

     Ugliness, Disability and Selfhood 1560-1770

     Medievalisms

     The writing of religious dissent: Literature in the age of Milton

     Magic and Popular Belief, c.1200-c.1500

     Early Modern X-Files

     Reconceiving the Renaissance

     War in the Early Modern Imagination