[Milton-L] 17th century contexts

r.f.pooley at engl.keele.ac.uk r.f.pooley at engl.keele.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 15:29:29 EST 2007

Two recent books my students have found helpful are Renaissance &
Reformations: an Introduction to Early Modern Literature (Blackwell) by
Michael Hattaway, clear and interesting with some well-chosen quotations;
and, rather more challenging, Jason Scott-Warren, Early Modern Literature
(Polity), not for most freshers I'd say, and densely written, as I
discovered when trying to extract a quote for an essay title. But still,
the idea in the sentence was interesting. Both available in paperback.

Roger Pooley
Keele University