[Milton-L] Lilith

Larisa Kocic-Zambo larisa at lit.u-szeged.hu
Fri Nov 30 10:10:50 EST 2007

According to a Lilith, or shall I say Rossetti scholar, Amy Scerba, there is
"an apparent allusion to Lilith in the single phrase 'snake witch'" in
Paradise Lost (see
<http://feminism.eserver.org/theory/papers/lilith/apndx.html>
http://feminism.eserver.org/theory/papers/lilith/apndx.html). I think she
might be referring to Milton's Sin (the "snaky sorceress" II.724), but I
doubt the reference has validity. The "night hag" reference in Sin's
description might be an allusion to an early Lilith representation (to the
babe killing aspect she shares with Lamia), but since the comparison with
the night-hag is made more in reference to the hellhounds following in her
wake, I think equating Lilith with Milton's Sin would be stretching the
line. At least I have tried, but could not with clear conscience do so :)

Bests,

Larisa Kocic-Zambo

  _____