[Milton-L] 17th Century contexts

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 29 13:18:30 EST 2007

gilliaca at jmu.edu wrote:

> ..
> >We long-suffering classicists have been doing that for years.
>
> My favorite high school Latin teacher, Miss Campbell, used to Gleefully tell us how many howlers she'd found in what ever the most recent Hollywood advanture in the past she's seen. She told us this would be another beneefit of reading the Aeneid - if Hollywood ever made it into a movie, we'd have twice the enjoyment of anyone else.

I would doubt the last point. It is unlikely but not inconceivable that
a fine movie might be made of the Aeneid (and by definition a fine movie
of the epic would grossly distort it), comparing it to the 'original'
could interfere with rather than add to one's enjoyment. Movies that try
to be "faithful" to the original are usually horrors as movies.

Carrol