[Milton-L] 17th Century contexts

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Thu Nov 29 11:04:57 EST 2007

I used Rivers last time I taught Milton and it worked quite well, even though it
was out of print at the time.  I had a copy on reserve in the library and had
the students do oral presentations.  They also each had copies of the Cambridge
Companion, second edition  For the sociopolitical background, I've gotten some
mileage from showing the first half of the movie CROMWELL (Richard Harris and
Alec Guiness, 1970), though some of the anachronisms make me wince and need to
be explained.  E.g., Cromwell was not among the five members of Parliament whom
the king attempted to arrest, all of whom escaped, but had he been, he would not
have sat in the king's presence and lectured him, and certainly not on
democracy.  (Leave it to Hollywood!)

Jameela