[Milton-L] 17th Century contexts

Rich DuRocher durocher at stolaf.edu
Thu Nov 29 09:58:44 EST 2007

For Jeffrey and others:

    While it may not exactly match your interests, I want to recommend a
gem in this regard:

    Isabel Rivers, CLASSICAL AND CHRISTIAN IDEAS IN THE ENGLISH
RENAISSANCE.

    Originally published by Allen & Unwin, then out of print, now (just
checked on Amazon) it's been reissued in a Kindle Edition for around
$21.00.  Anyone who has used this text will recall its great virtue: it
cites the key texts by 16th & 17th century thinkers as well as writers
on the key, embattled issues.  So, for example, on Predestination/Free
will, it includes key paragraphs by Luther, Calvin, Arminius, and then
offers key paragraphs by writers including Milton, Spenser, etc., both
poetry (PL) and prose (DDC).  Rivers includes an overview or summary of
the issue before providing these primary materials.  I've found it
incredibly useful over the years.  What it lacks, in terms of Jeffrey's
question, is social/political history, but on intellectual, religious,
and history it's terrific.

  All the best,

Rich DuRocher
St. Olaf College