[Milton-L] 17th Century contexts

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Wed Nov 28 20:49:00 EST 2007

I turn to the list for some help in a matter that, I know, has been
raised in one form or another before.
In previous years, I have used Graham Parry's The Seventeenth
Century:  The Intellectual and Cultural Context of English
Literature, 1603-1700 (Longman Group, 1989) as a handy single-volume
overview of the period for my undergraduate courses in 17th century
literature.  The book went out of print about five years ago and I am
in search of a substitute, a single volume review of the major
political, religious, philosophical, social trends and conflicts in
seventeenth-century England.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jeffrey Shoulson

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English and Judaic Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248145
Coral Gables, FL 33124-4632

(o) 305-284-5596