[Milton-L] Many thanks, iberia

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 13:38:08 EST 2007

"Strabo ... says, that the highest part of the Caucasus bordered on Albania, Iberia, and Colchis...."

  Albania?! Interesting. Is that the same word as the Balkan country Albania, or does it have a different etymology?

  (Not "hihghest," by the way.)

  Jeffery Hodges

Angelica Duran <duran0 at exchange.purdue.edu> wrote:
  Dear scholars,
Thanks so much for your help.  I think I am all settled.  I got more hints on non-Anglophone uses of ¡°Iberia¡± and its linguistic fellows, and learned a good skill for using the OED.  Here is another reference I had.

l. 317, p. 53. ---------Margiana to the Hyrcanian cliffs

           Of Caucasus, and dark Iberial dales,]

 Margiana and Hycrcania lay northward of Arochosia towards the

Caspian Sea. Margaiana is mentioned by Pliny, L. vi. 16. --------The

Hyrcanian ¡°cliffs of Caucasus¡± and ¡°the Iberian dale¡± are joined

together by Strabo, who says, that the hihghest part of the Caucasus

bordered on Albania, Iberia, and Colchis [¡¦]

[¡¦] -------The Iberian dales are termed dark, as the

Country abounded in forests. Tacitus describes the Iberians ¡°salutosos

¡° locos incolentes.¡± ANNAL. vi. 34.[i] <#_edn1>

[i] <#_ednref1> Milton, 1796, p. 414.

Happy Thanksgiving

Adios,
Angelica _______________________________________________