[Milton-L] concerning Christopher Hill

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Sat Nov 17 17:53:44 EST 2007

IBill Simpson suggests (below) that Alan Rudrum's comment that Christopher
Hill "was almost certainly a Soviet agent" is "trash and innuendo," and Bill
adds that he has "never read any allegation or heard even an inferential
hint that he was a Soviet spy."  As a long time admirer of Christopher Hill
(and I had the good fortune to meet him in 1985), I too would like to
believe that the allegation of spying is "trash," but Alan Rudrum did not
make this up off the top of his head, and his comment is free from
"innuendo."  Alan's words are  perfectly clear.  I too distinctly recall
these allegations surfacing very soon after Hill's death in 2003.  They
emerged in British newspapers, including the Times and Guardian.  Here is a
link, if anyone is interested (I found it via Google and am not endorsing
any of the content)::

 http://www.cronaca.com/archives/000574.html

I have not pursued this line, and have no opinions as to the veracity of the
allegations, but the allegations have been a matter of public record for
nearly five years and did not begin with Alan Rudrum, whose reference to
them (however just or unjust the allegations might be) is untainted by
"innuendo."

John Leonard