[Milton-L] concerning Christopher Hill

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Sat Nov 17 16:39:54 EST 2007

Thanks to Richard Strier, Hannibal Hamlin and William Simpson for
their eloquent responses to Alan Rudrum's unfortunate attacks on
Christopher Hill.
I had the good fortune to meet Professor Hill in the very early
stages of my graduate work.  It was around the time of his Bunyan
book and he was gracious enough to present some of that material to a
group of students in an informal seminar on research methods in early
modern studies.  I'll never forget how intellectually vital and
curious he was, even at his advanced age, and how willing he was to
entertain different perspectives.  Would that we might all find
ourselves at such a point in our careers so engaged and aware of the
most current trends in scholarship.
One doesn't have to agree with everything the man has written in his
prolific and influential career to acknowledges his bona fides as a
scholar.  I can think of very little more incongruous than comparing
Hill to W.  The couldn't be more unlike.

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English and Judaic Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248145
Coral Gables, FL 33124-4632

(o) 305-284-5596