[Milton-L] concerning Christopher Hill

HANNIBAL HAMLIN hamlin.22 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 17 15:42:13 EST 2007

I'm sure most of us agree that the ad hominem charges against Christopher Hill with which William Simpson takes issue offend the norms of civility we expect on a scholarly list (even apart from the matter of their veracity).

Like Richard Strier, I too find the Hill-bashing odd.  I haven't read anything like his complete works (how many on this list can claim this?), but his The English Bible and the Seventeenth-Century Revolution was extremely valuable to me, and The World Turned Upside Down was one of my most exciting graduate school reading experiences.  Furthermore, though he may not have been the best literary critic, I still find some of his thoughts on Milton suggestive (I for one, am unconvinced we should dismiss parallels between Milton and his [PL] Satan).

Hannibal

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Book Review Editor and Associate Editor, Reformation

Mailing Address (2007-2009):

The Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol Street SE
Washington, DC 20003