[Milton-L] A response to Carol Barton on puritan & other protestants

Cristine Soliz csoliz at csoliz.com
Sat Nov 17 10:27:17 EST 2007

I independently came across DDD as a graduate student at the UW and studied
them and wrote several papers, one on Jerusalem for a Blake seminar and one
for a seminar I took with Sara van Den Berg.  I think that Milton's
detractors (and DDD incited many against him) unfairly tried to depict
Milton as overreacting to his problems with Mary, and thus being unmanly or
hating women or hating marriage. They taunted him in public and even spit in
his face. Later biographers felt embarrassed that he wrote them. Milton
might have begun thinking about DDD ³because Mary walked out on him², but as
an intellectual he had to understand the larger, foundational implications
for society imposed by how the church construed marriage and divorce in
their laws ­ did they have sex or not? etc. Milton felt that what these
antiquated marriage and divorce laws (and the way also that women and men
were chained to each other ­ Blake¹s Ulro) ultimately implied for society
was that interactions between men and women boiled down to ³the quintessence
of an excrement², whereas the foundation of these relations as the base of
society should be something greater.
_______________
Cristine Soliz
PhD in Comparative Literature
Faculty in English, Diné College
Faculty Association President
Project Director, NEH Grant
http://dchumanities.org/
Area Chair Historical Fiction, SW Tex Pop Culture and Am Culture Assoc
Associate Scholar, Center for World Indigenous Studies
http://csoliz.com
csoliz at csoliz.com