[Milton-L] Christopher Hill

Richard Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sat Nov 17 07:17:06 EST 2007

I have not been following the list much recently, but I do wonder why
the Hill-bashing.  Sure he wrote too much, but he produced many gems
(most of the essays in Puritanism and Revolution, and in Society and
Puritanism.  Whatever particular mistakes he may  have made, there is
no doubt that he enormously enriched and encouraged the study of
English puritanism and radical religion in the seventeenth century.
And what a genius for quotation he had!

If it is Hill's political orientation that is being attacked, that
seems to me unfortunate.  Not the right way to evaluate his work.

It is certainly possible to honor an achievement this side idolatry.
And we should.

--
Richard Strier
Frank L. Sulzberger Distinguished Service Professor